We ask you to arrive 15-30 minutes early for your appointment. This is particularly important if you are a new referral, as the registration process and updated x-rays can take some extra time. It is our goal to keep your total appointment time to less than two hours. Extenuating circumstances may lengthen your wait, but in many cases the visit time will be considerably shorter.
When you arrive at the clinic, you will meet with the clinic staff or Dr. Murnaghan’s assistant, Sandra. She will get all your paperwork done and will direct you where to go from there. You will likely be sent for x-rays prior to being seen by Dr. Murnaghan, which will be done just up the hallway from the clinic. Dr. Murnaghan is directly affiliated with The University of Toronto and you may be seen by orthopaedic trainees prior to or along with Dr. Murnaghan. The doctors will ask you for a history of your injury or condition, will inquire about your past medical history, and will examine you. They will also review any imaging, such as X-rays or MRIs that you already have.
- Following your appointment, you and Dr. Murnaghan will devise a plan of action which could involve any of the following scenarios and more:
- Non-operative treatment including a period of rest or rehabilitation involving physiotherapy
- Further imaging (CT Scan or MRI)
- Surgical treatment:
- You may decide to go home and spend some time thinking about the options Dr. Murnaghan has outlined, and then return to the clinic at a later date
- You may be booked for surgery for the near future, at a time convenient for you and Dr. Murnaghan
- Referral to another healthcare professional for opinion or continued management
You must bring the following items to your appointment:
- Your health card
- Your green or white hospital card (you will receive one on your first visit)
- Original imaging on CD (MRIs, x-rays, CT scans etc.)
- Appropriate clothing for physical examination
- Hip, Leg or Knee Problem – Shorts
- Shoulder or Elbow – Tank top or sleeveless shirt
- Any relevant documentation you may have
If you have any specific forms to be completed and signed, please bring them with you to your appointment. Time permitting, we may be able to complete them at your appointment, but some may need to be completed at a later time and returned to you. Because these services are not covered by OHIP, you will be charged an administrative fee.